Three brilliant scientists tackle the wannabe controversy of intelligent design.
Coyne/Dawkins, Guardian: they argue that the daydream of a two-sided debate, evolution v. ID, is dangerous & distracts from echt scientific controversies w/r/t evolution--viz., the "Cambrian Explosion," the evolutionary basis of human behavior, sexual v. natural selection, the target of natural selection, & natural selection v. genetic drift.
Dennett, NYT: he asks whether ID is either a hoax or a legitimate school of scientific thought, noting that, without content, the ID "theory" is scientifically an insufficient rival to evolution.
Mountains are mountains, rivers are rivers.
Mountains are not mountains, rivers are not rivers.
Mountains are really mountains, rivers are really rivers.
// The Re-Up Gang, "Zen"
The Re-Up Records imprint, spearheaded by brothers Pusha T & Malice, is focusing on their namesake gang, which boasts The Clipse, Major Figgas' Ab-Liva & Sandman. With the Neptunes' superproducing, they've uncaged a banger equally appealing to the drank-sippin' Mike Watts crowd & the latte-sippin' Alan Watts crowd.
The late Chief Justice Wm. Rehnquist left quite a legacy. In the words of Alan Dershowitz:
Chief Justice William Rehnquist set back liberty, equality, and human rights perhaps more than any American judge of this generation. His rise to power speaks volumes about the current state of American values.
15 reasons not to half-mast yr Old Glory:
01) 1952: penned a memo backing the separate-but-equal illogic of Plessy v. Ferguson, arguing it "was right & should be reaffirmed"; he later perjured himself when, in the words of historian Mark Tushnet, he tried to "smear the reputation of a great justice" by pawning the views off as Jackson's
02) attacked Brown v. Board of Education
03) 1964: testified against a public ordinance ordering the desegregation of public accommodations
04) 1964: challenged the voting qualifications of African- & Hispanic-Americans as part of the Republicans' thuggish "Operation Eagle Eye" during the 1964 election
05) engineered an unprecedented widening of presidential power under Nixon, defending the Cambodian invasion, wiretapping, break-ins, & "preventative detention"
06) fought to limit the power of Congress & federal courts to enforce civil rts, desegregate schools, regulate business in the public interest
07) undercut Miranda's limits on search-and-seizure
08) added exceptions to the exclusionary rule & upheld pretrial detention
09) 1978: opposed gay rights, reasoning, more or less, "that gays were like people with a contagious disease, and that the government had every right to discriminate against them to protect the public"
10) 1972: dissented against the legalization of abortion (Roe v. Wade; again in Planned Parenthood v. Casey)
11) 1976: voted to restore capital punishment after its 4-yr abolition in the US
12) 1992: upheld the death penalty for minors & the mentally retarded (Herrera v. Collins)
13) 1983: only justice to say that Bob Jones University had a legal right to keep African-Americans off its campus
14) bought a home in Vermont with a restrictive covenant that barred sale of the property to ''any member of the Hebrew race"
15) outraged Jewish classmates at Stanford by goose-stepping and heil-Hitlering with brown-shirted friends in front of a dormitory that housed the school’s few Jewish students
Bibliography: Harvard's Alan Dershowitz, The Nation's David Corn & Bruce Shapiro
London pop gets the Kompakt treatment ...
// Baxendale, "I Built This City (MM rmx)"
Southern rap gets the reggaetón treatment ...
// Rich Boy/Don Omar, "Get to Poppin' (KK rmx)"
Racism in LA: As the cradle of our nation's musical history bleeds, burns, & rots, as women are raped in the Superdome, as meteorology midwifes Hobbesian dystopia, Nero & his spouse-in-crime fiddle: Bush playing guitar hero & Condi rescuing several-thousand-dollar shoes from certain oblivion. One of Mlle Hopper's e-mailers nails the reality: "were it an avalanche in aspen and not a hurricane in louisiana, everyone who could be saved would have been saved." Darnielle thanks Kanye for saying the same thing, in real time, on nat'l television.
Fascism in UT: Fuck those poor-black-targeting, culture-annihilating, levee-breaking floodwaters, the gov't knows its 1st priority: descending on raves. God knows that 90 "troops" employing dogs, tasers, tear gas, a helicopter & semi-automatic assault rifles is never overkill in the Global War on Electronic Dance Music (recently rechristened the Struggle Against Anti-rockism). Watch the video, fight back.